Monday, September 13, 2010

Paraset ~ Crystal Holders

During my parts search I could not find the exact types used on the original paraset.  I found a good verity of antique holders:

Types: FT243, Z-1B, and PL-11



But good quantity of these type Z-1B:

Petersen Radio ~  Is this one for QSOs with W7OIL?


Disassembled:



Conclusions:  The brass electrodes that connect the crystal element to the pins inside the metal plates that hold the crystal in place are easily removed. 

This is done by heating the pin with a soldering gun and pulling the electrode out with a tweezers.  It does not damage the element or the crystal in any way.

I will use some of the QRP frequency HC/49 Crystals from : Expanded Spectrum Systems in these holder  I may also put a 2V bulb in series to protect them. 

Secondly, I will simply move the crystal form the FT243 holder.  There is a little size difference but tests with my test transistor oscillator shows that it does oscillates close to the original frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment